Friday, September 26, 2008

In God We Trust

"I will lie down and sleep in peace,
for You alone, O LORD,
make me dwell in safety."
(Psalm 4:8)

Wednesday morning, I attended a women's Bible study where Traci, my friend, ministry partner, and sister-in-Christ, spoke about prayer and fasting. At the conclusion of her message, Traci asked each of us to select a slip of paper from the provided baskets and to pray with a partner before departing. On each slip was a Scripture; mine happened to be Psalm 4:8, which is also today's reflection Scripture.

I thought it was funny that I chose Psalm 4:8, as I never have trouble sleeping and never feel afraid. (Should I say "never"? Hmmm ... let me rephrase to "rarely".) I thought that perhaps there was something for my prayer partner in that Scripture, but, as I prayed with her, it didn't seem to particularly resonate with her. Traci shared that many times when the Lord gives her a Scripture, it's for someone else whom He later brings across her path, so I tucked the verse in my Bible and proceeded with my day.

Less than 24 hours later, I had two Divine opportunities to share that Scripture, and, today, 48 hours later, I find myself in correspondence with many people for whom that Word is intended!

Dear friends, a frenzied whirlwind is whipping about. There are reports of national and global economic collapse. Some people, even some Christians, are worried, concerned, and frightened. Some are verging on panic.

Is this Divine judgment for greed and moral failures? Is the Lord drawing us back to Him by taking away our worldly security? Are we just stewing in a self-made mess?

It's not for me to say or assume. But, I can tell you this without reservation: we must put our trust and hope in the Sovereign Lord. Our allegiance is to Him!

Are you keeping one eye on the news? Put both of them on the Bible. Seek what the Lord says, not what the media reports.

Are you analyzing the stock market and monitoring your retirement accounts? Pour over His Word instead. It is the only thing that remains the same yesterday, today, and forever (reference Hebrews 13:8; John 1:1-3).

And, while you're studying your finances, look at your actual cash. See that on the back? It reads, "IN GOD WE TRUST".

Invest in the one thing that is a sure thing: the Lord Jesus Christ. A relationship with Him yields sure profits and eternal dividends. " 'Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in Heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.' " (Matthew 6:19-21).

Does the Lord not provide for those who love, accept, and acknowledge Him? Jesus taught us to pray for "our daily bread" (reference Matthew 6:11) ... not for tomorrow's bread, not for next week's bread, and not for next decade's bread!

As the Israelites grumbled their way through the desert in circumstances that did not meet their expectations, the Lord provided daily manna from heaven (reference Exodus 16; Numbers 11; Deuteronomy 8:3). (And, remember, that those who hoarded more than their daily share were left with inedible rot!)

" 'Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. ... Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? ... So do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first His kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.' " (Matthew 6:25-34; my highlighted emphasis.)

Beloved, our hope is not in our bank accounts, our 401Ks, our homes, our insurance policies, or our government. Our hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ! (Reference 1 Thessalonians 1:3; 2 Thessalonians 2;16-17; 1 Timothy 1:1-2; Titus 2:11-14; 1 Peter 1).

This morning, I meditated upon the books of Habakkuk and Zephaniah. Habakkuk records an interesting and unique conversation with God. Although Habakkuk wrestles to an extent with circumstances than appear to be confusing and unjust, he learns to rest patiently in the knowledge and faith of God's goodness and sovereignty. "... Yet I will wait patiently for the day of calamity to come on the nation invading us. Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, yet I will rejoice in the LORD, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign LORD is my strength; He makes my feet like the feet of a deer, He enables me to go on the heights." (Habakkuk 3:16-19).

Zephaniah, who was well-versed in the current political issues of his day, was another of the prophets chosen to warn Judah of God's approaching judgment, and, like many of the other prophets, his grim proclamation ends with the hope of restoration. " 'I will stretch out My hand against ... those who turn back from following the LORD and neither seek the LORD nor inquire of Him. Be silent before the Sovereign LORD, for the day of the LORD is near. ... At that time I will search Jerusalem ... and punish those who are complacent, ... who think, 'The LORD will do nothing, either good or bad.' Their wealth will be plundered, their houses demolished. They will build houses but not live in them they will plant vineyards but not drink the wine. The great day of the LORD is near -- near and coming quickly. ... Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to save them on the day of the LORD's wrath. In the fire of His jealousy the whole world will be consumed, for He will make a sudden end of all who live in the earth. Gather together ... O shameful nation, before the appointed time arrives ... before the fierce anger of the LORD comes upon you ... Seek the LORD, all you humble of the land ... Seek righteousness, seek humility; perhaps you will be sheltered on the day of the LORD's anger. ... This is the carefree city that lived in safety. She said to herself, 'I am, and there is none besides me.' What a ruin she has become ... She does not trust in the LORD, she does not draw near to her God. ... The LORD within her is righteous; He does no wrong. Morning by morning He dispenses His justice, and every new day He does not fail, yet the unrighteous know no shame. ... I said to the city, 'Surely you will fear Me and accept correction!' Then her dwelling would not be cut off, nor all my punishments come upon her. But they were still eager to act corruptly in all they did. Therefore wait for Me, declares the LORD, 'for the day I will stand up to testify. I have decided to assemble the nations, to gather the kingdoms and to pour out my wrath on them -- ... The whole world will be consumed by the fire of My jealous anger. Then will I purify the lips of the peoples that all of them may call on the name of the LORD and serve Him shoulder to shoulder. ... I will remove from this city those who rejoice in their pride. Never again will you be haughty on My Holy hill. But I will leave within you the meek and humble, who trust in the name of the LORD. ... do not let your hands hang limp. The LORD your God is with you, He is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing. ... At that time I will deal with all who oppressed you; I will rescue the lame and gather those who have been scattered. ... At that time I will gather you; at that time I will bring you home. I will give you honor and praise among all the peoples of the earth when I restore your fortunes before your very eyes,' says the LORD." (Zephaniah 1:4, 6-7, 12-14, 18; 2:1-3, 15; 3:1-5, 7-9, 11-12, 16-17, 19-20).

Precious Father, You are the one true God! Our hope should be in nothing and no one but you! Forgive us for minding earthly matters when we should be keenly focused on Your eternal kingdom. Forgive our greed, our pride, and our self-centeredness. Let us rest in Your salvation (reference Psalm 51:12, 62:1) and trust in Your righteousness (reference Romans 4:5). I pray in the name Jesus, my Lord, my Savior, my Hope. Amen.

"God is our refuge and strength,
an ever-present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear,
though the earth give way
and the mountains fall
into the heart of the sea ...

There is a river whose streams
make glad the city of God,
the Holy place
where the Most High dwells.
God is within her,
she will not fall;
God will help her
at break of day.

Nations are in uproar,
kingdoms fall;
He lifts His voice,
the earth melts.

The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.

'Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted
among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.'

The LORD Almighty is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress."

(Psalm 46)

How can we encourage and pray for you today? Please let us know by clicking on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer. Feel free to leave your praises and insights as well!

If this topic sparked your interest, see also ...

Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

AMEN...AMEN...AMEN!!! (Oh, and did I say AMEN??!!!)

This post encouraged me so much. I've been saying this very thing to those around me who are finding themselves in a constant state of worry over today's economy. I have nothing but peace because I trust in our God. Even as I, myself, have been living in a bad financial position lately, I still wake up every morning with the trust that God is in control, and He takes care of His children.

Thanks for another great post!