Wednesday, September 17, 2008

A Holy Harvest

" '... a harvest is appointed.' "
(Hosea 6:11)

Autumn is my favorite season! I just love everything about it: crisp air, colorful leaves, crunchy apples; I never feel more alive than I do in the fall of the year. Autumn is the season of the harvest, a time of celebration and abundance!

But, in God's Word, the harvest also represents something else, and that fact really sobered me today.

This morning, I drove my daughter to school earlier than normal; she is on the Praise and Worship team this year, and their first worship offering was being presented at today's chapel. (It was precious, by the way!)

My car has become my favored sanctuary; it seems that I am always in it, and it has morphed into a traveling prayer closet! So, I found a quiet spot in the school parking lot, moved my seat back, and settled in for some time with the Lord before the school chapel began.

And He led me to Hosea.

I first meditated upon 6:6: "For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and acknowledgment of God rather than burnt offerings." That reminded me of yesterday's reflection Scripture from Psalm 51:15-17, and I began to drill down that passage, thinking that it would be key to today's post. It may eventually show up here, if He leads, but then He took me to Hosea 6:11" '... a harvest is appointed.' "

In this instance, dear ones, "harvest" is figurative for God's judgments.

Oh, I want to write about the other kind of harvest today! But there it is. And it's not just in Hosea 6:11. Reference also Jeremiah 51:33; Hosea 8:7, 10:12-13; Joel 3:13-16; Matthew 13:30-42; Mark 4:29; Revelation 14:15.

When I think of "harvest", I think of "gathering". But, in researching the word just now, I found this additional definition: "the result or consequence of any act, process, or event". Considering the world's history of unfaithfulness to the Lord, that definition strikes horrifyingly close to home.

There is a lot more to this than my limited mind can comprehend. There are God's judgments (lower-case "j') and God's Judgement (capital "J"). His judgments encompass individuals, nations, and the Great White Throne (reference Revelation 20:11). I am neither a theologian nor a Bible scholar, and I can only write what the Lord impresses upon my heart, but, my friends, I do know this: the Lord is Holy, just, and righteous, and His judgments mirror His character.

No judgment from the Lord is cruel or capricious. His harvest will not be unwarranted, and it should not be unexpected. He has sown every seed to ensure that His creation knows Him. "For since the creation of the world, God's invisible qualities--His eternal power and Divine nature--have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that men are without excuse." (Romans 1:20).

Are we to spread the gospel and fulfill the Great Commission (reference Matthew 28:16-20)? Absolutely. But God doesn't need for us to do that. He can reveal Himself, all by Himself! He blesses us by allowing us the opportunity to participate in His work. But, I digress ...

And my heart aches. I hurt for every time I have grieved my Lord by ignoring Him, by prioritizing other ridiculous stuff above Him, and by rebelling against His clear commands. I agonize for others, who are so hard-hearted and stiff-necked that they can't--or won't--repent and seek the Lord's forgiveness. He loves us regardless, but we have to choose to love Him in return. And we must accept--and acknowledge--Him as our Savior ... and as our Lord.

And, if we don't ... if we won't ... well, His harvest approaches. It will be horrible, but it will be just. It will be righteous. It will not be unwarranted. And it should not be unexpected.

Precious Father, dear Lord, Almighty God, thank You that You are Holy. I marvel at Your love for us, Your patience with us, Your commands for us. I ask Your forgiveness for every time I have failed to acknowledge You. Your Word continually refers to "that day", and I know "that day" is coming. In Your great grace, You have given us knowledge of You, and I pray that in Your magnanimous mercy, You will also give us understanding, for "a people without understanding will come to ruin" (reference Hosea 4:14). Prepare us, dear Lord, for Your Holy harvest. May You find faithfulness and fruitfulness on earth. I pray in the name of "Jesus Christ--the Righteous One" (reference 1 John 2:1). Amen.

"We know that we have come to know Him
if we obey His commands.
The man who says,
"I know Him,'
but does not do what He commands
is a liar, and the truth is not in him.
But if anyone obeys His Word,
God's love is truly made complete in him.
This is how we know we are in Him:
Whoever claims to live in Him
must walk as Jesus did. "

(1 John 2:3-6)

How can we encourage and pray for you today? Please let us know by clicking on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer. Feel free to leave your praises and insights as well!

Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Still I continue to feel blessed at the connection we share through the Lord. I just finished my post for today, and I came to yours to catch up with the blog. My post was on the importance of a quiet place. I read your post here & this is what stood out for me:
"My car has become my favored sanctuary; it seems that I am always in it,it has morphed into a traveling prayer closet! So, I found a quiet spot in the school parking lot, moved my seat back, and settled in for some time with the Lord before the school chapel began."
Praise God that there is no limit to the ways we can find quiet time alone with Him!
God bless you dear sister as you continue to bless & inspire me!

Kathryn said...

Amen! Praise God for His grace in connecting like-minded and whole-hearted followers of Christ ...