Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Forsaking My Pace & Taking His Grace

" '... yet you have not returned to Me ...' "
(Amos 4:6, 8, 9, 10, 11)

It's been five days since I've written a post. Every day, I thought about it, but I had nothing to say. What can I communicate on my own? I dare not write anything out of my own strength; I dare not write anything that's my own "good" idea.

When you're empty, you are incapable of giving, and you must restore and refresh yourself at the feet of the Lord--in prayer, in devotion, in meditation, in worship, in His Word. Taking a vacation doesn't do it. Vegging out in front of the television doesn't do it. Reading about the experiences of others doesn't do it.

My weekend was packed full of "good" things. Most were family-centered and church-centered. We are usually very careful to guard our time, but, this particular weekend, our time management was out of control. Yesterday, and even today, we are still paying for it. Physically, I am still tired. Mentally, I feel a little dull. Spiritually, I am crying out for renewal.

It seems ironic that, in a weekend that centered mostly around group Bible studies and church activities, one could feel spiritually dry. It's not at all due to the quality or content of the activities in which we chose to participate, but it's due to the fact that my personal devotion time with the Lord suffered in the process.

You know what I mean. Rarely do I ever just hop in the car and show up somewhere. There is always a dish to prepare, a project to complete, or a homework assignment involved. If the gathering is at our own home, there is preparatory shopping and cleaning. And, all of that leaves precious little time for my Lord.

It's an important reminder to filter everything through the Lord--to sift every decision through His Holy sieve ... and to winnow whatever doesn't make the cut.

My first responsibility as a child of God is to Him. My second responsibility as a wife and mother is to my husband and child. Everything and everyone else has to take a number.

Sometimes, I feel burdened by the needs and requests of others. I think about Jesus in Matthew 14:13-14: "... Jesus ... withdrew ... privately to a solitary place. Hearing of this, the crowds followed Him on foot from the towns." Even for Jesus, it was difficult, at least during His public ministry, to find time alone with His Father, but He intentionally set it aside: "After He had dismissed them, He went up on a mountainside by Himself to pray ..." (Matthew 14:23; see also Mark 6:46, Luke 6:12). Of course, in the time of His greatest need, He prayed alone in Gethsemane (reference Matthew 26:36-45, Mark 14:32-42).

Jesus also intentionally sought out places of renewal and refreshment among His closest friends, particularly in Bethany. (Reference Matthew 21:17, 26:6; Mark 11:11, 14:3; Luke 10:38).

I need to seek out the Lord continually throughout the day, but it's particularly important for me to begin my day before Him.

"Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for to You I lift up my soul. ... Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; may Your good Spirit lead me on level ground."
(Psalm 143:8, 10)

"Sow your seed in the morning ..."
(Ecclesiastes 11:6)

"O LORD, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning ..."
(Isaiah 33:2)

"... 'Administer justice every morning ...' "
(Jeremiah 21:12)

"... His compassions never fail. They are new every morning ..."
(Lamentations 3:22-23)

"... weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning."
(Psalm 30:5)

When my morning begins in Him, the rest of my day falls into place. Whatever He deems necessary is accomplished; whatever He deems unnecessary loses urgency. This weekend, I did not begin my days in Him. I squeezed Him in amidst our errands and activities, but He was an afterthought. Instead of being a luxurious blessing, time with Him was just something else to check off my "To-Do" list. How wretched.

I arose relatively early every day (around 6 am), but my mind was filled with all that I had to do to make it through the activities scheduled for each day. Had I arisen even 30 minutes earlier, I could have intentionally carved out more time with my Father ... and He might have winnowed my weekend plans for me. Instead, I trudged on in my own strength, taking what was good while forsaking what was best.

Consider this lame excuse: "Well, if I get up earlier, I won't have quiet time anyway, because I'll wake the dogs, and then I'll have to take them out. Then, I'll have to feed them ... and the guinea pig. And, by the time I sit down with my Bible, the rest of the family will be awake anyway."

What a doofus! Can the Lord not redeem my time and my choice to make Him my first priority? Of course He can! Praise Him for loving me even as I wallow around in my filthy rags (reference Isaiah 64:6).

Well, this is not at all what I intended to write today. The reflection verse from Amos was supposed to go in an entirely different direction, but, that's the joy of writing in the Holy Spirit. He says what He wants to say, and, although He's preaching to me today, I hope it is beneficial to you, as well.

Perhaps tomorrow, we'll explore Amos. Today, let's make our way to the feet of Jesus.

Precious Father, I love You so much! Thank you for loving me, too, even when I continually fail ... even when I must disappoint you. Forgive me for putting anything and anyone above You. I pray to return to You today, and every day ... every morning, every afternoon, every evening, every minute of the day. I surrender my schedule, my ideas, my commitments, and my opportunities to you, precious Lord. Please continually convict me of Your priorities for me, for anything else is meaningless ... a chasing after the wind (reference all of Ecclesiastes!). I pray in the name Jesus, my Lord, my Savior, and my number one Priority. Amen.

"There is a time for everything,
and a season for every activity under heaven ...

Guard your steps when you go
to the house of God.
Go near to listen
rather than to offer
the sacrifice of fools ...

Anyone who is among the living
has hope ...

A fool's work wearies him ...

Fear God and keep His commandments,
for this is the whole duty of man."

(Ecclesiastes 3:1, 5:1, 9:4, 10:15, 12:13)

How can we encourage and pray for you today? Please let us know by clicking on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer. Feel free to leave your praises and insights as well!

If this topic sparked your interest, see also ...

Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

My Dear Dear Sister!
As you know from reading my recent posts, I understand completely what you are saying and just where you are coming from. Since I myself began being convicted of this very same thing not quite a week ago, I can see many changes in my life and even now as I write...this VERY day, I am under attack and yet God is merciful. He knows our hearts and He loves us so much. Praise Him for conviction! Praise Him for His love & His mercy! God is great & right to be praised!
Through all of the sifting, we get closer & cling tighter to our Lord in the end!
Be blessed & refreshed! God uses you in a great & mighty way for His purposes & His glory. Is it any wonder why the devil would distract you?
Hugs!
Michelle

Kathryn said...

Thank you, dear sister, for your encouragement. I suppose we can celebrate (????) enemy attacks, because if we were no threat to him, he wouldn't waste his time trying to neutralize our testimony for Christ!