Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Because He Says So

"... because You say so,
I will let down the nets."
(Luke 5:5)

Last night, I prepared this morning's reflection. This morning, the Lord completely changed it ... again ... :-), and He brought to mind the pure and precious obedience of a little girl.

As I sat in my car yesterday evening at the soccer field, studying my Bible and waiting for my daughter's practice to end, I tuned out most of the folks walking by. I was parked beside a gate, and it seemed that most of the children couldn't just walk through the gate--they had to swing on it, jump over it, or crawl under it. I was conscious of many parents saying, "Don't do that. Don't do that. Don't do that. You're going to get hurt." I didn't really look up from my studies, but it sounded like most of the kids did it anyway.

Then, I heard more footsteps crunching through the gravel and a mother's voice, "Don't play on that."

"OK, Mama."

It was the most precious little voice, and, upon hearing it, I looked up to see a tiny girl--about three years old--with blonde ringlets, wearing HUGE sunglasses :-), shuffling along after her mother ... just as content, and joyful, and obedient as could be.

"OK, Mama."

I can't really remember my daughter saying that to me! (But, then again, I can't remember saying that to my mom, either!) My wonderful daughter likes to be "in the know"; she's obedient (usually!), but she wants to know all the reasons why she should be. If she were three again, and I told her not to swing on the gate, it exhausts me to think about all the questions she would ask about why she shouldn't swing on it and the comprehensive case she would make for why it would be okay "just this once".

Once upon a time, I worked in the media, and my job was to get the "Who, What, When, Where, Why, & How" of every story. So, I guess my daughter gets that compulsion honestly. I like to know, too. How refreshing, though, to hear this exchange last night, characterized by a prompt and pure expression of obedience.

It made me think about all the times I have questioned the Lord, not necessarily in doubt or disobedience, but just because I wanted to know "why". The Bible records so many faithful individuals whose lives were marked by prompt obedience to the Lord. One of my favorites is Abraham: "By faith Abraham, when called to go to a place he would later receive as His inheritance, obeyed and went, even though he did not know where he was going." (Hebrews 11:8).

This morning, though, the Lord keeps leading me to the examples of His first disciples. When he called Simon Peter and Andrew, they left their nets and followed Him "at once" (Matthew 4:20). James and John left their boat (and their father!) "immediately" (Matthew 4:22). Contrast those reactions, though, with that of Nathanael (Bartholomew), whose immediate response was to ask questions to Philip, "Can anything good come from [Nazareth]?" (John 1:46) and to Jesus Himself, "How do You know me?" (John 1:48). Bartholomew did, of course, follow Jesus, but his questioning hits a little too close to home, and reminds me of a phrase used very often by the teachers at my daughter's school: "Slow Obedience is No Obedience".

I love today's reflection Scripture, Luke 5:5. Jesus instructs Simon Peter to take his boat out into deep water and to let down his nets. Simon Peter had just returned from a rather fruitless fishing expedition, was already cleaning his nets, and was probably very tired. I don't know what Simon Peter was thinking, but here's what he said, " 'Master, we've worked hard all night and haven't caught anything. But because You say so, I will let down the nets.' " Through his obedience, of course, the Lord blessed him with so many fish that his nets began to break!

Oh, to obey without having to know the outcome or the reason why!

"OK, Mama."

"OK, Abba."

"I will ... just because You say so."

Precious Father, thank You for loving us even when we are obstinate and unlovable; thank You for patiently waiting when we ask wearying question after wearying question. Let our lives, Lord, be characterized by prompt and pure obedience to You. Let us remember, Lord, that You work "for the good of those who love [You], who have been called according to [Your] purpose" (Romans 8:28). Let us remember that we need not know "what"; we need only know "Who". Let us follow Your every call ... just because You say so. I pray in the name of Jesus, Your perfect Son and my precious Savior. Amen.

"... to obey
is better than sacrifice ..."

(1 Samuel 15:22)

(How can we encourage and pray for you today? Please feel free to let us know by posting a comment below; click on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer.)

Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: