Thursday, September 18, 2008

Fruitful or Fruitless?

"For we must all appear
before the judgment seat of Christ,
that each one may receive what is due him
for the things done while in the body,
whether good or bad."
(2 Corinthians 5:10)

I was excited to sit down this morning with thoughts of writing a reflection based upon the withering of the fig tree (reference Matthew 21 and Mark 11), but here we are again reflecting upon judgment. (I really have to laugh at myself and "my" ideas!)

The Lord is really driving home this point on judgment, and, this time, it's for believers. Will you stay with me?

Here's the Scripture that started it this morning: "... each one should be careful how he builds. For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. If any man builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, his work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each man's work. If what he has built survives, he will receive his reward. If it is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." (1 Corinthians 3:10-15).

Verse 15 really startled me anew. Let's look at it again: "If it [the work of individual believers] is burned up, he will suffer loss; he himself will be saved, but only as one escaping through the flames." (My emphasis.) Ever heard the expression: "Saved by the skin of my teeth?" (It originates from Job 19:20, by the way!)

Well, I don't want to get into heaven by the skin of my teeth. I don't want to enter heaven "by a nose" or "by a hair". I don't want to "skate by" or "slip through". I don't want to get there "on a wing and a prayer" or any other kind of silly cliche. I want to be greeted by the Lord Jesus Christ saying, "... 'Well done, good and faithful servant!' ..." (Matthew 25:21, 23; see also Luke 19:17).

Let me be clear. Salvation comes through faith, not through works. Christians, those who accept and proclaim Jesus Christ as their Savior and Lord, will be saved. We will spend eternity in the peaceful presence and under the righteous rule of Jesus.

And, He Himself tells us that eternal salvation is graciously granted even to latecomers (reference Matthew 20:1-16, Luke 23:40-43). But, if you're reading this today, and you're a Christian, and if I'm writing this today, and I'm a Christian, we're not latecomers, are we?

We're saved, but are we sanctified? Deeds don't save us, but don't they reflect our Savior?

"Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man. For God will bring every deed into judgment, including every hidden thing, whether it is good or evil."
(Ecclesiastes 12:13-14)

" '... let your light shine before men, that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in heaven.' "
(Matthew 5:16)

"Do not merely listen to the Word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. ... the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it--he will be blessed in what he does."
(James 1:22-25)

"What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? ... Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do. You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe that--and shudder. ... As the body without the Spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead." 
(James 2:14-26)

"Anyone, then, who knows the good he ought to do and doesn't do it, sins."
(James 4:17)

"Live such good lives among the pagans that, though they accuse you of doing wrong, they may see your good deeds and glorify God on the day He visits us."
(1 Peter 2:12).

"We know that we have come to know Him if we obey His commands. The man who says, 'I know Him,' but does not do what He commands is a liar, and the truth is not in him. But if anyone obeys His Word, God's love is truly made complete in him. This is how we know we are in Him: Whoever claims to live in Him must walk as Jesus did."
(1 John 2:3-6)

The above Scriptures represent only the "tip of the iceberg"--a mere sampling of what the Holy Bible records on this subject. (I've used more cliches in this post than in all the rest combined! In fact, I don't know that I've ever used them before!)

Good works glorify the Lord. They are not to serve our interests, increase our esteem, or occupy our time. Good works, as directed by Him and not by our own agendas, reflect His Holiness, accomplish His purposes, and honor His righteousness.

Do you know why Jesus withered the fig tree in Matthew 21 and Mark 11? (Thanks, God, for letting me work that in!) :-) Well, honestly, I don't really know either, but here is what I think: from a distance, the fig tree looked wonderful. It was beautiful and full of leaves. It beckoned enticingly and inspired admiration ... from afar. Up close? Nothing. No figs to feed the hungry. No food to share. No fruit to nourish. Just "smoke and mirrors", "form over substance", "pomp and circumstance". So, Jesus judged it. He found it lacking. He found it to be deceptively fruitful. And, so, He cursed it: "May you never bear fruit again!" (Matthew 21:19). "May no one ever eat fruit from you again." (Mark 11:14). And the tree withered. Matthew's account tells us it withered immediately. Mark's account says that the next morning, the disciples saw it was withered ...  and from the root (indicating total destruction). Whether or not the judgment was immediate, the judgment of Jesus was rendered.

Our deeds don't save us, but they are the fruit of His righteousness. Do our works bear witness to His will? Does the world know us--do they know Him--by our fruit (reference Matthew 7:15-23)?

Precious Father, I praise You for the gift of Your salvation! I thank You that though we don't deserve it, and we can't earn it, You make it available to us anyway. And I pray, Lord, that while we rest in the security of our salvation, we do not relax in the sanctification of our selves. Let our deeds reflect our status as members of Your royal family, and let them bring honor and glory to You. I pray in the name Jesus, my "righteous Judge", Who "will award ... me on that day--and not only ... me, but also ... all who have longed for His appearing" (reference 2 Timothy 4:8). Amen.

" 'Behold, I am coming soon!
My reward is with Me,
and I will give to everyone
according to what he has done.' "

(Revelation 22:12)

How can we encourage and pray for you today? Please let us know by clicking on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer. Feel free to leave your praises and insights as well!

If this topic sparked your interest, see also ...

Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I was very convicted by this post. I am saving the verses to memorize in order that I do not forget. This is something the Lord has speaking to me about for a very long time & it's always awesome to receive confirmation!!

LauraLee Shaw said...

What a powerful post. The Truth is deep in here, and it sunk straight to my heart.

Kathryn said...

Thank you, girls, for your encouragement. This one was tough to write; I got a migraine in the middle of it. Do you suppose the enemy wasn't happy with it?! :-)

After all, if Satan can't win us, he'll try to paralyze or neutralize us in an effort to minimize our impact for the Lord's kingdom.