Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Applying Amos

" '... yet you have not returned to Me ...' "
(Amos 4:6, 8, 9, 10, 11)

This reflection Scripture is the one with which my last post began, but I had some personal repentance business before I could continue with it! Let's try it again today ...

Dear friends, the United States of America, originally founded on Godly principles, is teetering precariously at this particular moment in time. I'll spare you the details; you probably know them, and rehashing them only adds to the existing cacophony. I'll spare you my very strong opinions on the state of our nation; you don't need to know them, and my opinions don't really matter anyway.

I would encourage you, however, to read God's Word, pray, and draw your own conclusions.

Earlier in the week, as I was reading the book of Amos, I could not help but compare and contrast Israel's state at that time with America's state at this time.

Please understand that Israel and the United States are two entirely separate and distinct nations; Israel is God's chosen nation with an inherent covenant and promise of restoration. I do not dare compare the United States to Israel, and I do not presume to assume how the United States factors into the Lord's eternal kingdom plan. However, I do believe that within Israel's history and prophecy, as recorded in the Holy Bible, general applications exist.

The book of Amos, as recorded by the "minor" prophet himself, is addressed to Israel, which, at the time, appeared to be at a peak of financial, political, and spiritual prosperity. Unfortunately, as she became complacent in that prosperity, Israel's dependence on the God declined, resulting in a downward spiral of corruption, which bottomed out before the Lord's judgment.

Amos, an earnest proponent of God's justice and righteousness, was chosen to declare the Lord's imminent judgment of His wayward nation. My NIV notes state, "God's imminent judgment on Israel would not be a mere punitive blow to warn ... but an almost total destruction. The unthinkable was about to happen: Because they had not faithfully consecrated themselves to His Lordship, God would uproot His chosen people by the hands of a pagan nation. Even so, if they would repent, there was hope that 'the LORD God Almighty [would] have mercy on the remnant' (5:15; see 5:4-6, 14). In fact, the Lord had a glorious future for His people, beyond the impending judgment. ... The God of Israel, the Lord of history, would not abandon His chosen people or His chosen program of redemption. The God for whom Amos speaks is God of more than merely Israel. He also uses one nation against another to carry out His purposes (6:14). He is the Great King who rules the whole universe (4:13; 5:8; 9:5-6). Because He is all-sovereign, the God of Israel holds the history and destiny of all peoples and of the world in His hands. Israel must know not only that He is the Lord of her future, but also that He is Lord over all, and that He has purposes and concerns that reach far beyond her borders. Israel had a unique, but not an exclusive claim on God." (My highlighted emphases.)

So, dear friends, I ask you to consider the following Scriptures from Amos. There is no more commentary needed from me. God's Word stands alone. I encourage you to read through, meditate upon, and pray over His Word, discerning what the Lord speaks to your heart.

"... seek Me and live ...
Seek the LORD and live ..."
(5:4-6)

"Seek good, not evil,
that you may live.
Then the LORD God Almighty
will be with you ...
Hate evil, love good;
maintain justice in the courts.
Perhaps the LORD God Almighty
will have mercy on the remnant ..."
(5:14-15)

" 'I hate, I despise
your religious feasts;
I cannot stand your assemblies.
Even though you bring me ... offerings,
I will not accept them ...
I will have no regard for them.
Away with the noise of your songs!
... But let justice roll on like a river,
righteousness like a never-failing stream!' "
(5:21-24)

"Woe to you who are complacent ...
and to you who feel secure ...
You lie on beds inlaid with ivory
and lounge on your couches.
You dine on choice lambs
and fattened calves.
... You drink wine by the bowlful
and use the finest lotions,
but you do not grieve
over the ruin of Joseph.
Therefore you will be among the first
to go into exile;
your feasting and lounging will end."
(6:1-7)

"... the LORD God Almighty declares:
'I abhor the pride of Jacob ...'
... you have turned justice into poison
and the fruit of righteousness
into bitterness--
... 'I will stir up a nation against you ...
that will oppress you ...' "
(6:8-14)

"... The Sovereign LORD was calling
for judgment by fire ...
The Lord was standing by a wall
that had been built true to plumb,
with a plumb line in His hand.
... the Lord said, 'Look, I am setting
a plumb line among my people ...' "
(7:4-8)

"... 'The time is ripe ...' "
(8:2)

" 'The days are coming,'
declares the Sovereign LORD,
'when I will send a famine
through the land--
not a famine of food
or a thirst for water,
but a famine of hearing
the words of the Lord.' "
(8:11)

"... the Lord ... said:
'Strike the tops of the pillars
so that the thresholds shake.' ..."
(9:1)

" 'Surely the eyes of the
Sovereign LORD
are on the sinful kingdom.
I will destroy it
from the face of the earth--
yet I will not totally destroy
the house of Jacob,'
declares the LORD."
(9:8)

And yet, thanks be to God, for this final promise, specifically applicable to Israel as the promised land:

" 'In that day I will restore
David's fallen tent.
I will repair its broken places,
restore its ruins,
and build it as it used to be,
so that they may possess
the remnant of Edom
and all the nations that bear My name,'
declares the LORD,
Who will do these things.
'The days are coming,'
declares the LORD
'when the reaper will be overtaken
by the plowman
and the planter
by the one treading grapes.
New wine will drip from the mountains
and flow from all the hills.
I will bring back My exiled people Israel;
they will rebuild the ruined cities
and live in them.
They will plant vineyards
and drink their wine;
they will make gardens
and eat their fruit.
I will plant Israel in their own land,
never again to be uprooted
from the land I have given them,'
says the LORD your God."
(9:11-15)

Precious Father, I thank You for Your Word! I thank You that Jesus is "the same yesterday today and forever" (reference Hebrews 13:8), and that one day soon, He will return to rule in justice and righteousness. In the meantime, I pray on behalf of my nation--the United States of America, of Your nation--Israel, and of every nation--throughout this world. May we repent from our individual and corporate sins, may we return wholeheartedly to You, may we study and apply Your Word, and may we measure up when You return. I pray in the name Jesus, my Lord, my Savior, and my Ruler. Amen.

If this topic sparked your interest, see also ...
PS-The US presidential election will be held in 40 days. Sign up for "Pray the Vote", an initiative of the Presidential Prayer Team, to receive a daily prayer focus via e-mail.


How can we encourage and pray for you today? Please let us know by clicking on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer. Feel free to leave your praises and insights as well!

Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, My name is Renee. The events in the news in the past 48 hours have had me so scared that I have not been able to eat or sleep. I am a christian. Have been for 10 years. I know I should not fear, for Jesus is on the throne. Watching the news and hearing all the breaking news reports has weighed heavily on my heart. Last night a friend asked me if maybe it is from God, Maybe a call to prayer? What could this burden in my heart mean? I hadn't even thought about that. So if this burden is a demonic oppression I pray it is lifted. However if this burdon on my heart is a call from the Lord to be on my knees in prayer. I don't want it to go away but to stay until I have completed what is asked of me. This particular post is encouraging to me and another reminder that God is Sovereign and everything He does is perfect and good. Please pray that I listen to God's voice today like never before and obey Him at His call. Please pray that I and christians around the world would not let fear take hold of us, but will use this time to seek God like never before. Thank you

Kathryn said...

Precious sister, thank you for sharing your heart! I believe the Lord is speaking to you, and, as a Christian, you have nothing to fear. Regardless of our currently earthly circumstances, our eternal life is secure. So, in the meantime, trust in Him, cling to Him, talk to Him, listen to Him, obey Him, and stay immersed in His Word.

I am praying for you ... and for all of our brothers and sisters in Christ around the world!

"I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety." (Psalm 4:8)

"God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea ... There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the Holy place where the Most High dwells. God is within her, she will not fall; God will help her at break of day ... The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. ... 'Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth.' The LORD Almighty is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress." (Psalm 46)

Kathy Schwanke said...

Kathryn, I am so glad to have found this place of nourishment. I love the depth of your posts and the faith you have. I will surely come back here for impartation of the Spirit.

I want more of Him!!

Michelle said...

As I try to make sense of my life these days, one continual truth comes to mind. God IS Sovereign, and living life any other way than having Him at the head is a life that's filled with chaos & confusion. The changes we see as a whole will come from the changes we make as individuals. I pray that we continue to band together in prayer for this nation long after this 40 days is over.
God bless you dear sister. As always, you are a wonderful inspiration!!