Thursday, December 4, 2008

A Star is Born ...

"... A Star will come
out of Jacob;
a Scepter will rise
out of Israel."
(Numbers 24:17)

Oh, precious friends, how I've missed you! I was ill during Thanksgiving but still counted my blessings. I pray that regardless of your circumstances, you, too, were richly blessed!

Since I last wrote, I have been star-gazing, marvelling at the wonder of God's creation. About two weeks ago, I noticed two bright stars, or what I thought were stars, in the sky. As they did not appear to be part of a commonly seen constellation, I was drawn to them and wondered why I had not noticed them before. Before I was able to research them, I became ill, but while I was bed-ridden, I learned that the stars were actually the planets of Jupiter and Venus, and on the evening of December 1, 2008, they appeared in close proximity with a crescent moon--a rare astronomical phenomenon not mathematically predicted to occur again until November 2052, 44 years from now.

For a brief time, the three brightest objects in the sky (following, of course, the sun) formed a smiley face in space!

(Stargazers at Kathmandu.
Photo courtesy of Gopal Chitrakar/Reuters.)

The heavenly "smile" filled me with delight and drew my heart to remember the joy of the Magi, who traveled to Bethlehem for the occasion of Christ's birth. They "saw His star in the east" and came "to worship Him" (reference Matthew 2:2). In Matthew's account of Magi's visit, " ... the star they had seen in the east went ahead of them until it stopped over the place where the Child was. When they saw the star, they were overjoyed. On coming to the house, they saw the Child with His mother Mary, and they bowed down and worshiped Him. Then they opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts of gold and of incense and of myrrh." (Matthew 2:9-11).

The Magi were "overjoyed" to see the star--not because of incredible phenomenon of the star itself but because of what the star indicated: the arrival of the Messiah, the King of the Jews.

Oh, precious ones, even today and ever since, the Lord posts indicators all around us. Every day, we, too, are blessed by demonstrations of His mercy, His grace, and His love. Every day, there are signs of Messiah's impending return. Are we overjoyed by what the signs represent? Are the indicators what we expect? Are we even noticing them?

When Jesus Christ was born in Bethlehem, most missed it. He was not what they were expecting. Isaiah records, "... He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him." (Isaiah 53:2). (Sob! This Scripture always brings a lump to my throat and tears to my eyes!)

Oh, beloved, the Lord moves among us even now, but we must refocus our eyes to recognize Him! In this precious Advent season, stress often crowds our joy of His birth. Activities encroach upon our time at the manger. Excessive spending robs us of our true gifts. Noise blunts our hearing. Commercial decorations blind our eyes. Our elaborate stage sets overpower the Star.

The Star has been born. For those who recognize Him, the Star shines among us. One day soon, He will return in full glory. And, this time, no one will miss Him.

Precious Father, thank You for the gift of Your Son, Jesus Christ! Oh, forgive us, Father, for relegating Him to a backstage prop when He is the Star of the show! During this Advent season, may we recognize Your Light, and may we reflect it to others (reference Daniel 12:3; Matthew 5:14-16; Philippians 2:14-16). I pray in the name of Jesus Christ, "the Bright Morning Star" (reference Revelation 22:16). Amen.

" 'I, Jesus, have sent My angel
to give you this testimony
for the churches.
I am the Root
and the Offspring of David,
and the Bright Morning Star.' "
(Revelation 22:16)

"And we have the word
of the prophets
made more certain,
and you will do well
to pay attention to it,
as to a light shining
in a dark place,
until the day dawns
and the Morning Star
rises in your hearts."
(2 Peter 1:19)

" 'Only hold on to what you have
until I come.
To him who overcomes
and does My will to the end,
I will give authority
over the nations ...
I will also give him
the Morning Star.' "
(Revelation 2:26-28)

For further reflection on this topic, see also ...

How can I encourage and pray for you today? Please let me know by clicking on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer. Feel free to leave your praises and insights as well!


Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

No comments: