Friday, October 17, 2008

Proclaiming the Proper Prescription

" 'What I tell you in the dark,
speak in the daylight;
what is whispered in your ear,
proclaim from the roofs.' "
(Matthew 10:27;
see also Luke 12:3)

Precious friends, I pray that you are being well-fed with Traci's rich and meaty e-mail devotions during this Feast of Tabernacles!

There is a lot to savor and digest in those devotions, but, at the risk of gorging you, I thought I'd share an extra portion that the Lord laid upon my plate today ...

Once upon a time, I filled my public waiting time by reading newspapers and magazines. In recent years, however, I've begun taking my Bible everywhere I go.

Absolutely, I read it at home, at Bible study, and at worship service. But I don't want to EVER be without it! So, today, I take it everywhere I go. (OK, maybe I don't have it in the grocery cart, but it's on the front seat of my car waiting for me ... and I do have that purse-size edition in the store with me!) Now, whether I'm waiting on a friend at Panera, waiting in the car line at my daughter's school, or waiting in the doctor's office, the love letter from my BFF is always with me.

His Word is written on my heart (reference Deuteronomy 6:6; Jeremiah 31:33; Hebrews 8:10, 10:16), but that's invisible to a watching world. I worship and praise Him, but those outside my home and my church might never witness it. I bear His fruit (reference Isaiah 32:17; Hosea 10:12; Matthew 3:8; Luke 3:8, 6:43-44; John 15; Romans 7:4; Galatians 5:22-23; Philippians 1:9-11; Colossians 1:10-14; Hebrews 13:15; James 3:17-18), but those who don't know Him might not recognize it.

The Word, which became flesh as Jesus Christ, (reference John 1), is currently invisible to an unseeing world. So, I carry what can presently be seen: His Word as recorded in the Holy Bible.

Oh, how I love my quiet time with Him! Oh, how I love the refuge of my own little Bethany (reference Matthew 21:17; Mark 11:11; Luke 24:50)! But, how can I keep Him all to myself?

I can not. I must not. I should not. He says not.

People are perishing. The enemy is prowling. The spiritually ill are growing fainter by the day, but many do not even know that they are sick.

My heart is drawn to Jesus' words in Matthew 9:12-13: " 'It is not the healthy who need a doctor, but the sick. But go and learn what this means: 'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' For I have not come to call the righteous, but sinners.' " (reference also Mark 2:17; Luke 5:31; and Hosea 6:6; Matthew 12:9).

My daughter has been ill for about two weeks with a cough, runny nose, and congestion. I assumed she had a cold, so I've been treating her with over-the-counter meds. For the past two days, though, she's was running a low-grade fever, indicating that perhaps her condition was a little more serious than "just a cold". This morning, a doctor confirmed Katy's condition. It was not a cold but bronchitis. A few minutes later, we left with a clear diagnosis and an antibiotic prescription. (And, yes, I had my Bible with me in the waiting room!)

I could have continued to treat Katy with ineffective medications that temporarily masked her symptoms, but her condition would have worsened (aside from a supernatural healing!). Thankfully, I recognized the clues to Katy's illness, but I didn't have to heal her. I just needed to refer her to the doctor.

Beloved, how many people do we see each and every day who are spiritually sick? I see them all around me. They're sick and tired. Sick to death. And, some of them don't even know it. Actually, I think many of them do recognize their symptoms, but they are self-medicating with one thing or another. Drinking. Eating. Shopping. Surfing the net. Trying to fill the void. Searching for relief. Constantly treating the symptoms ... but failing to treat the cause. Masking the aches and pains ... but failing to receive a proper diagnosis. Arbitrarily trying every hopeless placebo ... but missing the Holy prescription.

You know, we are not responsible to heal them. That is the work of the Great Physician. But we can recognize the telltale signs of their condition, and we can refer them to Him.

It is He who "heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds." (Psalm 147:3)

But it is we whom He "has anointed ... to preach good news to the poor ... to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim freedom for the captives and release from darkness for the prisoners, to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor and the day of vengeance of our God, to comfort all who mourn, and provide for those who grieve in Zion— to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair." (Isaiah 61:1-3)

And, when He returns, if we've saved only ourselves, I believe He will hold us accountable. " 'For this is what the Sovereign LORD says: I myself will search for my sheep and look after them ... I will search for the lost and bring back the strays. I will bind up the injured and strengthen the weak, but the sleek and the strong I will destroy. I will shepherd the flock with justice ... I will judge between one sheep and another, and between rams and goats. Is it not enough for you to feed on the good pasture? Must you also trample the rest of your pasture with your feet? Is it not enough for you to drink clear water? Must you also muddy the rest with your feet? Must my flock feed on what you have trampled and drink what you have muddied with your feet? ... See, I myself will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. Because you shove with flank and shoulder, butting all the weak sheep with your horns until you have driven them away, I will save my flock, and they will no longer be plundered. I will judge between one sheep and another ... I the LORD have spoken.' " (Ezekiel 34:11-24)

We may rest assured in our salvation, but we must proclaim it before a watching world. We may not be sick, but we must recognize those who are. Jesus is too precious to keep to ourselves. And, He alone provides the prescription for eternal life. We just ... we must ... proclaim His healing grace and refer others to His eternal remedy.

Precious Father, thank You for Your Word! Thank You for Your Son, Jesus Christ! I praise You that one day, Your children will be physically and spiritually whole, that "No one living in Zion will say, 'I am ill'..." (Isaiah 33:24). Until then, let me proclaim Your name before the suffering and the sick, in the hope that they will turn to You. I pray that I may declare You and Your Word fearlessly, as I should (reference Ephesians 6:20). And, it is in the name of Jesus Christ that I submit this prayer to You. Amen.

" 'If anyone is ashamed
of Me and My words
in this adulterous and sinful generation,
the Son of Man will be ashamed of him
when He comes in His Father's glory
with the holy angels.'
And He said to them,
'I tell you the truth,
some who are standing here
will not taste death
before they see
the kingdom of God
come with power.' "

(Mark 8:38-9:1)

How can we encourage and pray for you today? Please let us know by clicking on "Sparks Share" at the end of today's reflection, and scroll down to the "Comments" box. You may choose to comment anonymously, if you prefer. Feel free to leave your praises and insights as well!

If this topic sparked your interest, see also ...

Copyright 2008. Kathryn B. Wells. All Rights Reserved.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post!

Praising the Lord today for meeting me wherever I am. So desire to stay close to Him and talk and walk with Him all the days of my life. We serve a most loving Heavenly Father that cares about all His children and their concerns.
Blessings-

Michelle said...

Amen Dear Sister! As always, I am inspired by your posts!

Be blessed!
Michelle

twinkle said...

Loved your site and will link you as a favorite! Your posts are so encouraging...